CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC)
Lowcountry school districts, colleges
Charleston County School District
- Wednesday: District will move to half day.
- Thursday: The district will have an eLearning/remote work day. All school and district buildings will be closed
- Kaleidoscope and all other extracurricular activities and afterschool programs scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday are canceled.
- The Constituent District 3 community meeting for James Island is also canceled. The district will be in touch once the event is rescheduled.
- Subject to change, pending conditions, high school athletics (only) are still being held Thursday with an arrival time no earlier than 3:30 p.m. on campuses.
Berkeley County School District
- Wednesday: The district will follow the half-day dismissal bell schedule.
- Thursday: The District will operate as an eLearning Day. All schools and offices will be closed on Thursday and will resume operations Friday. Students will complete eLearning assignments from home via Schoology, Google Classroom, SeeSaw, or other designated virtual learning platforms. Specific information about assignments will be provided by the student’s teacher and/or school. Teachers will share information regarding their office hours to support students in completing eLearning assignments at home.
- Before and after-school care programs, activities, and athletics, to include practices and games, are canceled for Wednesday and Thursday. Normal activities and operations will resume on Friday.
- The district will not operate virtual feeding sites on Wednesday or Thursday.
Dorchester School District Two
- Wednesday - eLearning day
- Thursday - eLearning day
- All extracurricular activities and afterschool programs scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday are canceled.
Dorchester School District Four
- Wednesday - eLearning day
- Thursday - eLearning day
- All district buildings closed
Beaufort County School District
- Wednesday: The district will operate an eLearning and remote workday.
- Thursday: The district will operate an eLearning and remote workday.
The district said remote learning and work would be dependent on electricity and internet. District buildings will be closed on both days.
Georgetown County School District
- District officials will meet with the Georgetown County Emergency Management team to review the latest reports on incoming inclement weather. The district said on its Facebook page that it will release info about school operations following that meeting.
Orangeburg County School District
- Wednesday: Kindergarten through fifth grade elementary schools dismiss at 11:30 a.m. (with the exception of Dover Elementary School, which will dismiss at 12:30 p.m.) Middle schools, K-12 schools and Middle High schools will dismiss at 12:30 p.m. High schools will dismiss at 1 p.m. (with the exception of Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School, which will dismiss at 1:30 p.m. All afterschool programs and athletic events, including practices and games, will be canceled Wednesday.
- Thursday: The district will have a two-hour delayed start. The district will determine plans for afterschool programs and athletic events for Thursday once they can assess campuses for any damage.
Williamsburg County School District
- Wednesday - The district will operate on a half-day.
- Thursday - Schools will be closed and the day will be treated as an inclement weather day.
- Friday - The district will operate on a two-hour delay.
- Beaufort County buildings and programs will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. Beaufort County schools will be closed as well. Emergency services will remain available throughout.
- Convenience Centers are closed Wednesday and Thursday in preparation of the storm.
- County Parks and Recreation programs are canceled
- Hilton Head Island Airport and Beaufort Executive Airport are operating normally at this time, however as Hurricane Idalia approaches, travelers need to check with their carriers for any possible flight delays and cancellations. Air travelers are encouraged to download their respective airline apps on their mobile devices & to enable notifications so they are sure to receive the latest official word from their airline. Travelers are encouraged to check their airlines for waivers, as well.
“As we closely monitor the trajectory of Hurricane Idalia, County residents can rest assured that every appropriate County department is fully engaged in preparations to ensure the safety and security of our community,” Interim County Administrator John Robinson said.
City of Charleston
- City offices, including all recreation facilities and the City Gallery, will close at noon on Wednesday.
- The West Ashley Farmers Market scheduled for Wednesday has been canceled.
Charleston Area National Park Sites
- Fort Sumter, Fourt Moultrie National Historical Park and Charleston Pinckney National Historical Site have temporarily closed. All concession-operated ferry trips to Fort Sumter have been suspended and no special park use permits will be issued until further notice.
All closures will remain in place until severe weather passes, and the National Park Service conducts post-storm assessments to determine that employee and visitor facilities are safe. Status of the parks will be posted as an alert on the park’s websites.
Town of Bluffton
- Offices closed to the public Wednesday and Thursday. Staff will work remotely.
Copyright 2023 WCSC. All rights reserved.